Monday 22 December 2014

Changing Our Perspectives On Small-Scale Farming




I've recently spent a couple months living and working on an organic farm, and it has been one of the best educational experiences of my life.  A different kind of education.  From seeds to vegetables, community living to spiritual healing, I have learnt to appreciate a lifestyle I am not use to.

However, the most important lesson I've learnt had nothing to do with farming but with opening up and being vulnerable.  Every week we sat together and talked about the issues we were facing.  I have many, but since this blog is not my therapist I will only address one.  It goes a little something like this.

"You agreed to work on a farm? Why?  Are you getting paid? Isn't that like slave labour?"  
My first problem was dealing with this misconception behind organic, small-scale farming. Not an easy task, especially since I have a low tolerance for close-minded people.  But I learned, from my fellow farmers, that I can't let these questions get to me.  People seriously don't know any better.  So here is what we should know.

Being a farmer is not demeaning.  Is it hard work?  Absolutely, but it is not a job that you can overlook.  In fact, it's not really a job at all but a lifestyle.  Small-scale farming is a lost art, a way of life that is making a comeback as well as a huge impact on society.  I recently read an article saying young farmers are the new superheroes, and frankly I agree.  They are taking the ultimate necessity (food) and making it more sustainable, even healthier.  Well if that isn't a noble cause then what is?

I have spent the last few months with some of best people I have ever met.  They are smart, caring, funny, and best of all happy.  And since happiness is the ultimate success, I have no doubt that these farmers have what it takes to succeed. 

So please, try to learn more about the farms nearby.  Try to learn about the farmers who work these lands.  It's worth it.  I am so glad I had the opportunity of working on an organic farm, I've learned so much about myself.  I strongly encourage everyone to try it.  Who knows, it might just change your life.

Happy holidays everyone!  Stay tuned for my next blog on my indoor sprout growing attempts.



No comments:

Post a Comment